Academic AdvisorReporting Relationship: Dean of Students
Position Type: Non-Exempt
Time Commitment: Full-time
Work Location: Sunnyvale, California
The Academic Advisor is a creative and knowledgeable professional who works collaboratively with faculty & staff to provide a high quality developmental academic advising service for students from diverse backgrounds. This advisor will actively contribute to the growth, development, and activities of the Student Life department and as part of the larger college community in supporting student success, retention and college completion initiatives. He/she will work with students to help them develop educational plans that are consistent with their individual needs, abilities and goals. He/she will provide information about educational options, major and course selection, graduation requirements, and college policies and procedures. This position will work in close collaboration with staff & faculty from across the college, including: Admissions, Financial Aid, Academic Success Specialist and Dean of Students, and appropriate Program Directors and Dean of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise students on establishing academic goals; identify the educational options appropriate for each student; and assist with the analysis of each option, including possible outcomes and their implications.
- Provide additional support for students in academic jeopardy through an established appointment schedule, development of academic support plans, and referrals to the college’s academic support services when necessary.
- Engage in outreach and communication efforts with students to support college-wide student success, retention, and completion efforts.
- Maintain student files and records; document all pertinent student information and update Student Success Plans regarding changes to student status.
- Interpret and explain college policies and procedures; serve as co-chair of the New Student Orientation committee; manage and develop the college’s peer mentoring program; present academic advising information to new students and parents/family during orientation.
- Co-teach with the Academic Success Specialist the college prepratory class for all first-year students.
- Make referrals to the on-campus counseling services and partnering social service agencies when appropriate. Refer students to appropriate human services and assist with locating other referral sources as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students and others who may obtain advising services.
- Must be flexible and self-directed with the ability to work independently with changing deadlines.
- Familiarity with computers, word processing, database and spreadsheet programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and ability to communicate with people from various cultures with sensitivity, patience, and diplomacy.
- Excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to gather, organize, and track data accurately.
Interested candidates should complete the online application & attach a resume at: https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=17886992
Reporting Relationship: VP of Admissions & Marketing
Position Type: Non-Exempt
Time Commitment: Full-time
Work Location: Sunnyvale, California
Under supervision, responsible for generating prospective students for enrollment in Cogswell’s academic programs; using established leads, contacts students to obtain their approval to start the enrollment process; responsible for all phases of the student admissions process from marketing the program with students to qualifying them for enrollment in a Cogswell education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts telephone interviews to screen initial questions from potential student applicants and to set up campus interviews with them
- Conducts personal interviews to qualify candidates and to explain Cogswell’s academic programs and advises on what they need to do in order to meet Cogswell’s admissions requirements
- Uses all marketing and recruiting tools to get the Cogswell story in front of all prospects
- Effectively addresses students’ concerns to ensure that all prospects receive the full Cogswell story and are aware of their career opportunities
- Carefully assesses all prospective students to ensure that they have the student potential, traits, characteristics, and financial wherewithal to stay-the-course and remain enrolled until graduation
- Studies course prerequisites, degree equivalents and accreditation of schools and computes grade point averages to establish students’ qualifications for admission
- Maintains full knowledge of Cogswell’s curriculum so as to be able to fully explain all course offerings and to select a program which best fits each student’s needs and aspirations
- Completes the applicant qualification process to determine their eligibility for admission by reviewing relevant test scores; advises students on placement test scores and arranges for additional qualification procedures
- Completes the student application process by obtaining all relevant information and assisting the student (where required) to complete the application form
- Ensures that all required paperwork is completed with each enrolled student in respect to proof of education, test scores, transferable courses and other enrollment variables that may prohibit students’ enrollments
- Understands Cogswell’s financing sources to be able to convey basic program eligibility requirements in a manner that complies with Federal, State and other relevant laws and rules; refers students to financial aid department so that financial aid can be considered and available when needed
- Acts in a liaison capacity with other campus departments to ensure that the Admissions Department properly interacts with all areas affecting student enrollments
- Solicits referrals from prospective candidates to provide a positive flow of student applicants; diligently follows all leads in order to provide all relevant information to potential students and service them satisfactorily throughout the process
- Knows the importance of the student start rate goals for each term and uses effort, ingenuity and resourcefulness in meeting the Admissions Department’s student enrollment objectives
- Participates as a team member of the campuses Admissions Department by understanding team dynamics, rules and principles; works diligently and willingly towards the department’s goals and objectives
- Utilizes competent administrative skills by getting enrollment tasks done on time and within budget; maintains enrollment management records and completes all standard reports and adhoc reports, when needed, on time
- Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of the Admissions Department
- Commits the time, work effort and job skills to achieve the enrollment goals and objectives for each school term (semester)
- Handles related duties as assigned
- Adheres to laws and regulations governing student recruitment activities as set out by Federal, State and accrediting rules and laws as well as Cogswell College policies, procedures and practices
Interested candidates should complete the online application & attach a resume at: https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=13349332
Adjunct Faculty Programming Instructors Needed For: HTML5; LINUX; ActionScript
Reporting Relationship: Director of Engineering Program
Time Commitment: Part-time
Work Location: San Jose, California
Cogswell is seeking part-time Faculty in the SWE programs to teach the following courses for our Fall Term:
Flash Programming: ActionScript T/TH 1:45-3:25
LINUX Programming Environment T/TH 1:45-3:25
Additional Information Regarding Classes
SWE115 WEB PROGRAMMING: HTML5
SWE120 FLASH PROGRAMMING: ACTIONSCRIPT
Animation and ActionScript programming to create interactive animations, applications and games. First covered are basic digital animation concepts such as tween, masking, frame-by-frame and key-frame animation. Action Script is introduced initially in time-line context. Using AS code to control movement on stage and timeline for simple game applications. Using AS to load external content such as text, images, and sound. Finally, publishing to the web and mobile devices.
SWE221 LINUX PROGRAMMING ENVIRONMENT
Structure of UNIX/LINUX file systems. Shell programming. Discuss different shells. Filters. UNIX/LINUX system calls. Documentation Preparation. Standard I/O Library. AWK programming language. SED editor. Students practice programming in the UNIX/LINUX environment.
- Teach 1 or more undergraduate classes per semester in one of the above areas.
- Transfer knowledge including theory, practical skills, methods and techniques in related field.
- Challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and thinking.
- Exercise academic leadership in the design and development of curricula.
- Maintain at least one office hour per week outside of instructional time.
- Collaborate with department faculty in curriculum implementation, student support, and continuous program improvement.
- Participate in department meetings, professional development opportunities and preparation of program review and assessment processes.
- Assist with continuous strengthening of program links and service to the community
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Masters degree is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree is only acceptable with extensive software industry experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in Software writing.
For consideration, please fill out required application at the link below. Include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15033852
Position Summary:The Director of Engineering provides program-specific leadership and support for students, faculty, and staff. We are seeking an individual with higher education teaching experience, work history in engineering, and a result-oriented entrepreneurial spirit.
- Manage and provide leadership for teaching staff and supervise project managers in a matrix management reporting structure.
- Maximize existing resources while working collaboratively to develop and implement a long-range strategic plan for the program.
- Possess a deep technical understanding in engineering
- The ability to teach and program in multiple programming languages.
- An understanding of mobile application development and other emerging areas in technology.
- Responsibility for the academic quality and growth of the program
- Recruit faculty positions as needed
- Formulate and communicate recommendations for hiring, promotion, retention and evaluation of faculty
- Examine the departmental course offerings and propose improvements.
- Determine course schedule and assign faculty for teaching assignments.
- Create and maintain an active Program Advisory Board and lead/participate in department meetings, committees, and student success initiatives.
- Train or determine training for faculty
- Conduct assessment
- Teach classes and hold regular office hours.
- Foster a positive environment for students and serve as an Advisor.
- Ensure curriculum and syllabi are up to date and all classes have relevant materials through program review.
- Review and approve course substitutions and other requests made by the Registrar’s office
- Work closely with other Program Chairs to ensure the continued growth and health of the college
- Build and maintain community and industry relationships, including project partnerships
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Masters’ degree from an accredited institution in an engineering, math, science, or other technical area of study. Doctorate (Ph.D.) preferred.
- Successful college level teaching experience and/or Professional experience in the field of study.
- An ongoing engagement with best practices related to pedagogy, retention and student learning
- An ability to understand and/or experience working with startup companies and other entrepreneurial efforts.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple, important priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Possesses exceptional oral, written and listening skills. Has the ability and willingness to discern and meet the needs of students. Has the ability to establish interpersonal rapport and relate to individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Flexibility with schedule and the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
For consideration, please fill out the required application at the link below and include a cover letter and resume/cv.
It is the policy and practice of the Institute to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees
and applicants. Employees and applicants are evaluated on individual merit, qualifications and
competence. Programs will be administered without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national
origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, the
use of a trained dog guide or service animal, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or
local law. This policy is carried out in all of Cogswell’s practices involving employment, including
recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training and disciplinary action.