Game Design & Development is the degree program at Cogswell that best exemplifies the intersection of engineering and art for games and various forms of interactive technology. As the market for computer games and gamification demands visually high detail, fun, interactive, compelling stories, and dynamic game play, there is a need for highly skilled people with specialized expertise.
Game Design & Development consists of two majors which represent the two sides of game development teams. Game Design Art is focused on art and content creation for games. Game Design Engineering is focused on engineering and the more technical aspects of game creation.
Game Design Engineering students will graduate with expertise in game design, game programming languages, tools programming, scripting languages and software development on the engineering side. These skills are essential in the computer gaming, simulation, visualization and game engine programming industries. Since the industry also places high importance on teamwork, Cogswell's coursework offers numerous opportunities to participate in multi-disciplinary team projects. Students learn to work on teams that mirror real development teams that consist of artists, engineers, audio, and management.
- Graduates in GDA earn a Bachelor of Arts in Game Design Art
Benefits of Game Design Art Major
• Work on teams with other students that have the skills needed to make all the actual components of a game. Specifically, Cogswell has both game engineering and game art students unlike many schools. In addition, students in our game audio program participate on our teams and entrepreneurship classes offer important management and marketing skills.
• Build your portfolio with faculty guidance & industry-standard tools
• Build a network of like-minded students, alumni, faculty and industry contacts
• Current curricula covering latest technological advances
• Learn from caring faculty with industry experience
• Work in teams with faculty on projects
• Laboratories equipped with industry-standard hardware and software
• Project-based education where you can learn and work on teams
• Integrated lectures and lab work
• Curricula structured for maximum credit transfer from other schools
• Rigorous academic advising for timely graduation
Admissions & Application Information:
- New Student Admissions Requirements: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/admissions_info.php
- Cogswell Application: https://apply.cogswell.edu/undergrad_application.htm
- Information Request: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/request_info.php