Registration and Records

Registration Process
Pass/Fail Credit
Add/Drop Period Procedures
Change or Adding of Major/Concentration
Transcripts and Other Official Documents
Student Records
Change of Contact Information

Registration Process

The College offers online registration. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates and deadlines. Students are notified via email of the release of the class schedule and important deadlines. Students select the classes they need by using their Degree Audit (available through the Online Student Portal) and/or consulting with their Faculty Advisor.

All active students have access to the Online Student Portal where they can find academic, financial and curricular information, along with a degree audit and course schedules.

Step 1:

After reviewing the course schedule and their degree audit, students register online. If online registration is not available for a course, students should meet with their advisor. It may be necessary to submit an Add/Drop form to the Registrar. Students are unofficially registered at this point.

Step 2:

Students who receive financial aid meet with the Financial Aid Director. Please see the Financial Information section for a description of tuition amounts, fees and payment options.

Step 3:

Students pay the full tuition by the deadline published in the academic calendar. Tuition can be paid online or in the business office. Registration becomes official at this point.

Step 4:

Students can make online changes to their class schedule only before they are officially registered. Schedule changes after official registration must be submitted to the Registrar on an Add/Drop form with their advisor's approval signature. Students who receive financial aid must meet with the Financial Aid Director to update their Financial Aid status.

Continuing students who register during late registration are subject to a late registration fee.


A student may not enroll in a course for which all prerequisites have not been satisfied. A student may not register for a class and its prerequisites in the same semester. For information on prerequisites and co-requisites, please see the course descriptions in the catalog. An "Incomplete" is not a passing grade, so any course for which a course with a pending "incomplete" is a prerequisite may not be taken.

^ top

Pass/Fail Credit

Students who choose pass/fail credit for a course must submit a written request to the Registrar's Office before the last day to drop classes.

Add/Drop Period Procedures

Students wishing to add or drop classes after the normal registration period are responsible for adding and dropping classes within the specified time frame by completing an Add/Drop form and submit the completed form to the Registrar's Office within the specified time frame. Adds and drops are not official unless the forms are submitted to and received by the Registrar's Office. Any exception to this Add/Drop policy requires written permission of the Dean. Lack of attendance in a class will not constitute a drop and will not alleviate the "F" grade or charges.

Adding Classes

Classes can only be added during the first week of the semester. Classes can be added online if student is unofficially registered and with an Add/Drop form if student is officially registered.

Dropping Classes

For all 16 week semesters, classes must be dropped before or during the first two (2) weeks of the semester. For semesters/sessions less than 16 weeks, classes must be dropped during the first week of the semester. Classes can be dropped online if student is unofficially registered and with an Add/Drop form if student is officially registered.

Withdrawal from classes

Student may withdraw after the drop period and prior to the midterm. Deadlines for withdrawal are stated in the Academic Calendar. The Student will receive a "W" grade for this class if the class is dropped before the deadline for withdrawal. An Add/Drop form must be submitted to the Registrar by the last day to withdraw. Students who missed the withdrawal deadline and stop attending classes will receive an "F" as final grade.

Students who plan to withdraw from all classes must abide the drop or withdrawal deadlines and see the Registrar.

Drop initiated by Instructor

An instructor may drop a student from a class during the first two weeks of the term if the student is not academically prepared for the course, does not have the prerequisites for the course. A student's financial aid eligibility or immigration status may be affected by being dropped from a class. After an instructor initiated drop the student may register for another class with the approval of the Dean of the College.

For drops outside the Add/Drop period, see Dropping Classes Outside of Add/Drop Period below.

^ top

Change or Adding of Major/Concentration

A student may change majors by completing a Change of Major form available from the Registrar's Office (or from the Cogswell website) and obtaining the required signatures. All course and admissions requirements for the new major must be satisfied to qualify for the degree sought. A change of major does not change the student's academic standing. The transaction is not official until the Change of Major form is received by the Registrar's Office. If a student has been suspended or disqualified, an appeal for re-admittance under the new major must also be filed.

Transcripts and Other Official Documents (Effective November 1, 2014)

Request for official transcripts must be submitted in writing by student or alumni. A $10 fee will be assessed for each official transcript. Any request for transcripts or other official documents can be provided by the Registrar’s Office.

For Official Transcript Ordering, please follow the link below and you will be redirected to the National Student Clearinghouse Transcript Ordering system.

For Unofficial Transcript Ordering or Other Documents, please print the Document Request Form or obtain from the Registrar’s Office. You must complete and sign and return to the Registrar’s Office via fax (408-701-0601), email to (can accept e-signature if authenticated), or mail attention to Registrar’s Office. Print the Document Request Form.

Document Hold

No official documents including official transcripts or diplomas will be released until all financial obligations are met and library materials, equipment, or other college property is returned.

Degree Verifications

Cogswell Polytechnical College no longer provides verifications over the phone or faxed requests. The College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:

  • Web:
  • Mail: National Student Clearinghouse, 2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300, Herndon, VA 20171

Student Records

Cogswell College complies with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations (also known as the Buckley Amendment (1974)). This act affords students certain rights to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives the request
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes is inaccurate
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent
  4. The right to prevent disclosure of Directory information (Name, Degree received, Major and dates of attendance)
  5. The right to be annually reminded about his/her rights under FERPA
  6. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the Office of Education that administers FERPA:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

The Buckley Amendment grants the College the authority to release directory information to any person on request, unless a student requests in writing that directory information be kept as private. The College directory information will be disclosed at the College's discretion. The College regards the following as directory information:

  • Student's name
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees/Awards Earned
  • Major Field Study

It is important that parents have the opportunity to make informed decisions about the use of their student's directory information. However, there are times when schools must be allowed to implement policies that will permit them to effectively protect their students. As such, the Department of Education has also changed the directory information exception to state that parents may not, by opting out of directory Information, prevent a school from requiring a student to wear or present a student ID badge.

A copy of the Family Education Rights may be requested from the College or viewed at the following website:

It is the student's responsibility to make the College aware of any address changes by completing the Change of Address Form.

Change of Contact Information

It is the student's responsibility to maintain the correct mailing address. An Update to Student Information form should be submitted to the Registrar's Office immediately after a change occurs.

^ top