About the Fire Science Program
The Fire Science Program is a WASC accredited, upper division degree program sponsored by the National Fire Academy's Fire and Emergency Service Higher Education Program. The program is designed to give fire service personnel the chance to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Science with a concentration in either Fire Administration of Fire Prevention/Technology through distance learning.
Cogswell and NFA
A consortium of seven universities and colleges serving different regions in the country offers the program. Because Cogswell College is one of the seven consortium schools in the United States sponsored by the National Fire Academy, all Fire Science students who meet certain requirements can also earn two NFA Certificates along with their BS in Fire Science.
Courses for the Fire Science Program are delivered via an online course management system. In addition, Cogswell College offers five-day resident programs each term at various locations. Throughout the program, students are in touch with expert faculty members and helpful staff members.
Our faculty members have a wealth of experience in their specific fields, and are usually executive fire chiefs. The fire science courses, recently updated by the NFA consortium members, maintain a high academic standard while still addressing the practical problems of the fire and emergency services.
Why Cogswell College
- The program is Regionally Accredited by WASC and is certified by the National Fire Academy and follows the FESHE Curriculum.
- Besides a BS Degree, students, if qualified, may earn two NFA Certificates: NFA Certificate of Completion & NFA Certificate of Achievement.
- Low fees and affordable tuition.
- The program is a member of seven Fire Science Consortium Schools in the United States.
- High credit transfer rate from other institutions. The Program has active articulation agreements with most community colleges offering AS/AA Degrees in Fire Science.
- Some certifications earned through State Fire Marshall Training Programs may translate into college credit.
- Comprehensive package of Financial Aid, including Federal Title IV financial aid package.