Bachelor Degree in Digital Art & Animation (DAA)
Cogswell College's Bachelor Degree in Digital Art & Animation is designed to prepare students for exciting careers throughout the entertainment, media and art industries. Through extensive coursework, students gain hands-on experience using the latest tools and applications for 3D graphics and animation. Early classes develop each student's skills by building a foundation in traditional art and digital animation by focusing on the components of theory, production and general education. Through the guidance of our industry-experienced faculty, students will focus in the areas of 3D Animation, Entertainment Design, or 3D Modeling.
Our goal is to ensure that students leave Cogswell with the creative and technical skills required to work professionally in the fields of computer animation, art direction, visual effects and many other digital art related career paths. Students learn through a project-based approach which mirrors that of a typical industry studio. Upon completion, students will have generated an extensive portfolio of unique work created during their time studying and creating at Cogswell and be prepared for multiple opportunities within the many different areas of the entertainment industry.
Students focus on a degree in one of the following areas:
The 3D Animation concentration incorporates character, non-character and experimental animation into the curriculum. Techniques such as character motion, body language and character rigging are taught as fundamentals in the character creation process. In addition, students learn to create non-character animations such as visual effects, landscapes and inanimate objects in motion. Within our project-based learning environment, these skills and techniques will be used by students to create a short, animated film project in their senior year, or those accepted into the Project X program, will have the opportunity to work on a professional-level short animation project. Cogswell College's cutting edge technology and industry-experienced faculty help make the 3D Animation program unique and rewarding; by helping students realize their true potential and make their creations come to life!
The Entertainment Design concentration focuses on traditional and digital art techniques to create life-like design elements for film, video games or marketing and design firms. The ability to transform verbal and written directions into visual representations of characters and scenes is emphasized. Students also take courses in drawing, painting, illustration, character design and concept art for a deeper understanding of visual art skills and techniques and how they fit into a production pipeline. An understanding of how things are built within film, video games and other animation projects combined with great imagination; is at the heart of the Entertainment Design Degree Program. Our students also have the opportunity to collaborate with other college departments, in a project-based, comprehensive educational experience.
The 3D Modeling concentration develops both 2D and 3D Modeling skills. The goal of a Modeler is to create believable worlds, creatures and people and is the foundation of successful 3D representations in nearly every industry! Students build their skill set in model building, rigging, digitizing and texture mapping – all taught in a hands-on learning environment. These competences form the basis of more advanced modeling techniques utilized in real world applications such as movies, commercials, games, product design/development, and more!
Admissions & Application Information:
- New Student Admissions Requirements: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/admissions_info.php
- Cogswell Application: https://apply.cogswell.edu/undergrad_application.htm
- Information Request: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/request_info.php
Benefits of Digital Art and Animation Program
- Build a network of like-minded peers, alumni, faculty and industry contacts
- Rigorous academic advising for timely graduation
- Core art and design classes provide fundamental creative visualization skills
- Work on multi-disciplinary teams with students from other programs such as Digital Audio Technology and Digital Arts Engineering
- Utilize skills gained to collaborate with other students on short films
- General Education component provides a strong narrative component
- Create 3D models that can be used as assets in films and games
- Build a highly-marketable resume and portfolio or reel with faculty guidance and industry-standard tools
- Opportunity to work on an award-winning student production (Project X Studios)
- Work closely with dedicated faculty
- Current curricula that covers the latest technological advances
- Opportunities to work with visiting industry professionals
- Work in teams with faculty on projects
- Labs equipped with industry-standard hardware and software
- Project-based education where students learn by working in teams
- Integrated lectures and lab work
- Learn to use industry standard production pipelines
- Create pre-visualization and concept work that can be used in games and animations
DAA Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- PLO 1. Demonstrate effective application and combination of elements of design and color in student projects.
- PLO 2. Employ creative aspects of experimentation and iteration in their designs.
- PLO 3. Illustrate the ability to recognize and differentiate between critical components in projects.
- PLO 4. Create expressive characters, environments and props using traditional tools and techniques of the industry.
- PLO 5. Integrate inventive principles, techniques and skills in student projects.
- PLO 6. Contribute effectively their expertise to a collaborative project.