Bachelor Degree in Digital Audio Technology
The Digital Audio Technology program prepares students to step into professional careers in the competitive audio and music industries. The program provides project-based instruction for a wide range of professional audio fields by developing skills in studio production, sound design for videogames and/or film, audio programming, sound synthesis, electronic music production, songwriting, and music composition for soundtracks. Students can select a specialization track from Audio & Music Production, Audio Software Development & Engineering, and Audio Production Management. All three tracks include instruction specific to videogame/interactive production as well as mainstream audio and music production. Cogswell College offers many opportunities for audio students to engage in collaborative projects with other Cogswell students on animations, video games and music recording projects.
Students focus in one of the following areas:
Audio Production offers students an integrated curriculum that includes music theory and composition, studio recording, sound synthesis, soundtrack production, audio mastering and audio software development. DAT students learn a wide range of concepts fundamental to digital audio and engage in numerous project-based assignments and projects. They also learn essential professional skills such as music distribution techniques and strategies, studio proprietorship and intellectual property protection. Audio Production coursework culminates in a year-long senior audio project that provides a bridge into a professional career.
Students learn the engineering skills needed to work in audio-related software product development. In a blend of software engineering and audio production courses, they acquire practical, project-based experience in using audio technology for audio, music and game production as well as developing cutting-edge tools used in the industry. As a special feature of this program, a student may choose between a project to develop an audio tool or consumer product, or participation in the game studio as an audio programmer, to complete the senior portfolio requirement.
As in the Audio & Music Production track, students prepare to work in a professional audio and/or music production setting. At the same time, through a sequence of courses provided by the Digital Media Management program, they develop the leadership and entrepreneurial skills needed to operate a studio, start a record label or manage projects and production teams. This track is for the audio production specialist who wants to step up to a management position or who intends to start his/her own audio production business. A student may choose to start an audio-related business, manage an audio project, or produce original audio content to complete the senior portfolio requirement.
Graduating in DAT earns a Bachelor of Science in Digital Audio Technology
Admissions & Application Information:
- New Student Admissions Requirements: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/admissions_info.php
- Cogswell Application: https://apply.cogswell.edu/undergrad_application.htm
- Information Request: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/request_info.php
Benefits of Digital Audio Technology Program
- Study with experienced audio industry professionals
- Work with industry-standard audio and application development tools
- Collaborate on team projects with dedicated and creative peers
- Work in immersive, acoustically-treated studio environments
- Learn essential mathematical and engineering concepts that drive new technologies
- Expand your network of professional working relationships with fellow students, alumni, faculty and guest presenters
- Focus on career-building activities with professional oversight
- Create original music tracks and sound tracks using industry-standard audio tools
- Integrate cultural and social knowledge into artistic productivity
- Engage in marketing and distributing your creative work
DAT Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Students who successfully complete the DAT program of study will be able to:
- PLO 1. Execute an audio production project from concept to delivery according to industry standards.
- PLO 2. Apply best music production practices to individual or collaborative audio projects.
- PLO 3. Represent within a STEM perspective the conceptual basis of the tools and processes used in audio production.
- PLO 4. Model musical styles based on an integration of historical and theoretical knowledge.
- PLO 5. Apply knowledge, reasoning and reflection to evaluate music and audio production.
- PLO 6. Formulate the steps and processes toward a specific career path within the industry.
Proud McDSP Education Partner