Bachelor Degree in Digital Arts Engineering or Software Engineering
Cogswell's engineering programs offer you practical, real-world learning opportunities and the skills you need to transition to careers as practicing professionals or for graduate study. Most engineering students must wait until they begin their graduate studies to take part in research and development projects. At Cogswell, undergraduate students have the opportunity to work on projects sponsored by major corporations or their fellow students throughout their course of study. Students will develop the experience and skill to implement creative solutions to problems with computer hardware, software, systems and applications.
Innovation is key in the industries for which we prepare our students. Engineering programs at Cogswell College provide hands-on experience working with faculty in small groups in an environment that focuses on learning while blending theory and practice. Since many software and hardware engineers are required to manage projects, our Entrepreneurship elective course offers students the opportunity gain the competencies they need to deliver projects that meet quality standards and are on schedule and within budget.
Core and foundation courses in each degree program teach students to think critically and gain insights into disciplines other than their personal field of study.
Students focus in one of the following areas:
DAE is the degree program at Cogswell that best exemplifies the intersection of engineering and digital art. As the market for animated movies, special effects and interactive entertainment demands increasing realism and sophistication in its content and imaging, the need for highly skilled people with specialized expertise in the entertainment industry increases. Students in the Digital Arts Engineering degree program develop their talent in art and design alongside studies in software engineering, physics and mathematics.
This degree is suited to the student who plans to follow a Technical Direction career path. Coursework will focus on pipeline management, project troubleshooting, character rigging and setup, physical simulation, rendering and compositing, particle and image effects, art and design workflows, tool scripting, art asset troubleshooting and optimization and file compression and conversion.
Students will graduate with expertise in programming languages, tools programming, scripting languages and software development on the engineering side and concept design, modeling, texturing, rigging, and animation on the art side. These skills are essential in the computer simulation, visualization and game engine programming industries. Since the industry also places high importance on teamwork, Cogswell's coursework offers numerous opportunities to participate in multi-disciplinary team projects.
SWE coursework covers the entire software development cycle including: design, analysis, verification, validation, implementation, reliability, deployment and maintenance. The work done by software engineers impacts so many of the devices and software that we rely upon in our everyday lives − cell phones, games, business applications, financial operations, health devices, military systems and so much more − that there is increasing demand for software engineering professionals who have experience developing software systems.
Students in the Software Engineering degree program will gain the skills they need to undertake large scale programming projects; be exposed to latest trends in software development, design and testing; and be familiar with interface, tools and game engines programming. Through hands-on, project-based learning, graduates will have the tools required to bring innovative ideas and a problem-solving approach to the challenges they will face during their careers.
Students can specialize in: Software Development and Testing, Computer Networking, Graphics or Real-Time Simulation
- Graduating in DAE earns a Bachelor of Science in Digital Arts Engineering
- Graduating in SWE earns a Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
Benefits of Cogswell Engineering Program
- Work in teams with professors on sponsored projects
- Entrepreneurship classes offer project management skills
- Sponsored research and development opportunities
- Build a portfolio and resume with faculty guidance and industry-standard tools
- Current curricula covering latest technological advances
- Caring faculty with industry experience
- Laboratories equipped with industrial grade hardware and software
- Project-based education
- Integrated lectures and lab work
- Curricula structured for maximum credit transfer
- Rigorous academic advising for timely graduation
- Close interaction with students from other disciplines
Admissions & Application Information:
- New Student Admissions Requirements: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/admissions_info.php
- Cogswell Application: https://apply.cogswell.edu/undergrad_application.htm
- Information Request: http://www.cogswell.edu/prospective/request_info.php
DAE and SWE Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Students who successfully complete the DAE or SWE program of study will be able to:
- PLO 1. Demonstrate the integration of professional responsibilities in the context of engineering solutions.
- PLO 2. Solve engineering problems or create art productions using knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- PLO 3. Analyze engineering problems and resolve them using appropriate design steps and processes.
- PLO 4. Demonstrate effective collaboration in a multidisciplinary team project.
- PLO 5. Communicate effectively throughout engineering project stages.
- PLO 6. Demonstrate the ability to independently acquire and apply new knowledge.