Concept: A project-based learning Digital Audio Technology initiative, in which DAT and DAA students are collaborating on the production of short audiovisual pieces made for various Silicon Valley businesses and beyond.
Outline: Impressive sounding- and looking, dangerously original (or just simply dead professional) audiovisual pieces created by Cogswell students, who, under the guidance of Audio- and Visual Directors, produce industry-quality "media works" (origin of the name). The produced works include sound design, original music , animation, live action footage. The projects involve real life client meetings, creative brief- and concept generation, participation in the approval process, project- and time management, real deadlines, and of course, full-scale production (audio and visual) both individually, within teams and between teams. The production follows the true industry pipeline and delivery standards.
Tools used: Besides all the industry-standard software and gadgets, MW places great emphasis on not relying on the tools but creating and following a strong concept. We believe that creativity comes before technology.
Program created and projects directed by: Julius Dobos (Audio/Music Director) & Anthony Dias (Visual/Animation Director). Directors are utilizing their experience to turn a college course and learning outcome into a professional-level working production program.
- 20 years of audio- and music production
- Original Music Composition and Sound Design for major film & television productions
- Lectures & Master Classes
- Digital Sound Design
- Electronic Music composition / Sound Synthesis
- Film Scoring
- Taking production beyond digital technology
- Team Building
- Multicultural Markets
- Broadcast Advertising
- Video Production
- Video Post Production
- Music Production
Current class format: 4-8 DAT students and 4-8 DAA student workers
Program deliverables: 1 completed production (a short film from concept to delivery) per 8 week, resulting in 2 pieces per semester (per student group). Target goal: 6-8 new pieces per year
Typical media format: 10s to 1 minute long logo- promotional- or other corporate communication films or animated films
Benefits to students:
- Project-based learning opportunity
- Collaborative learning environment, teamwork situations
- Hands-on learning environment, individual work situations
- Production experience that mirrors the actual industry pipeline and real life customs, decisions, challenges and problem solving scenarios
- Exposure to the full production cycle
- Improving production management skills and methods
- Working with an actual client, experiencing client relationship management and communication skills
- Strong pieces for students’ portfolios, immediately available to showcase, which can greatly increase their employment potential
- Experience in working under realistic pressure
Medium-long-term goal: We are planning to turn the continuous project into a service "rendered" by Cogswell students (Cogswell MediaWorks) to corporations in need of audiovisual communication pieces, especially logo films. The ultimate goal is a leading, high in-demand program that provides practical, hands-on learning in the respective creative fields.
Current MediaWorks pieces include:
- Cogswell logo film (completed in August, 2013)
- Argus Insights (business) corporate logo film (completed in September, 2013)
- ALearn (organization) corporate communication film (completed in October, 2013)
- Panasonic (business) product presentation film (completed in January, 2014)
- MediaWorks (program) self-branding logo films (2) (in production, to be completed in March, 2014)
Approximately 35 students have participated in various MediaWorks projects.