Summer High School Program
Exclusive to High School Junior & Seniors Only
If you dream about becoming an animator, game designer, entertainment engineer or sound designer, now is your chance to begin realizing that dream. Spend the summer building the skills you need to enter these highly-specialized, exciting career fields; earn transferable* college credit; interact with world-class Cogswell College faculty and make lasting friendships.
Choose from a variety of courses representing several of our degree programs while you study alongside our undergraduate students for twelve weeks. The classes you take are part of our regular curriculum so you can explore what learning at a college level is really like. Our small class sizes and project-based learning environment are designed to help you succeed.
Come to Cogswell College this summer and Create Something Extraordinary!
Experience our exciting, hands-on classes such as:
- Introduction to the fundamentals of drawing. Perceptual skills and the use of line, shade, perspective, and composition. Students learn and practice these skills by working independently three hours per week. May be repeated once for credit with recommendation from the Instructor.
- 2D Design
- An introduction to the principles of two-dimensional image making with an emphasis on visual communication. Traditional and digital production techniques are covered. Students will learn about the form and function of graphic design various principles of perception and Gestalt theory, and how they relate to graphic design. The course also serves as an introduction to image editing software.
- Desktop Production Fundamentals (Audio)
- Introduction to the software, methods and practices of desktop audio and music production, video editing and content delivery. Topics include an overview of computing basics, managing and processing of media, content creation and rendering audio and video files to disk. Methods for online publishing and preparation for on-the-air broadcasting are explored.
- Introduction to Scripting
- This class is a practical introduction to programming, using Python. Topics include declarative and imperative knowledge (“what” vs. “how”), problem breakdowns, and examples of declarative and imperative systems of computation. Students will implement several small programming projects in areas chosen by the class. By the end of the course, students will be able to implement their own programming projects, either independently or in collaboration with others.
- Flash programming: ActionScript 3.0
- Animation and ActionScript programming to create interactive animations, applications and games. First covered are basic digital animation concepts such as tween, masking, frame-by-frame and key-frame animation. Action Script is introduced initially in time-line context. Using AS code to control movement on stage and timeline for simple game applications. Using AS to load external content such as text, images, and sound. Finally, publishing to the web and mobile devices.
- Web programming: HTML5
- Introduction to Mobile Programming, iOS
Mobile is everywhere, and programming for mobile devices has specific characteristics that put it apart from traditional setting. Small displays, small code footprint, adherence to View-Control-Model architecture, availability on different platforms, use of location-aware services and other sensors, and so forth. This course will involve hands-on application implementation for mobile platform. We will focus on native programming (using Objective C) on iOS platforms.
Classes run for 12 weeks starting June 9, 2014. Each class is $499*.*Summer pricing is not applicable to other semesters.
• The Summer High School Program is exclusive to high school juniors and seniors who are currently enrolled full-time in a High School. Home schooled students may be eligible if they meet full-time high school enrollment requirements.
• Each of these courses leads to 3 credit units of college level course work and upon successful completion can be transferred to Cogswell College's 4 year degree programs.
• Class capacity capped at 20 students
• Spots to be allotted a grade (priority for seniors) and first come first served. An admissions advisor will contact you by 31st March to assist you with the registration process if your application has been accepted.
• For further details, please call 408-498-5123 or email email@example.com
Class cost does not include supplies.
*Subject to grades, time limits and program choice. Not all courses may be available due to enrollment limitations and are subject to change.
Read about Cogswell's program with Independence High School here.